A panel of judges has examined 80 stories, photos, videos and podcasts to identify the best content created by members of the Golf Journalists Association of Canada (GJAC) in 2019.
From outstanding writing on the top issues in the world of golf to eye-opening photos and video content, the best in Canadian golf writing in media has been recognized with the Annual GJAC Awards in the categories of: Column, Profile, Feature, Travel, Photography (action and landscape) and Multimedia.
SCOREGolf led the way with eight awards spread out over seven categories, with the magazine’s editor Jason Logan garnering two first-place awards for his column ‘Where Were You?’ on Tiger Woods’ historic win at the Masters and his profile of Adam Hadwin, ‘Hungry For More.’
Writing awards also went to Rick Young in the Features category for ‘Winter Park’s Success Story’ in SCOREGolf and Guy Nicholson in the Travel category for ‘At a Pair of England’s Most Historic Links, the Threat of Wind, Waves and Climate Change is Palpable’ in The Globe and Mail.
In the photography section, Grant Fraser took home top honours in the Action category for his shot ‘Wondrous Whistler’ in Flagstick Magazine, while Chris Fry swept the entire Landscape category and took top spot with his shot ‘Port Royal’ in Caddie Magazine. Rob Leth’s piece ‘Golf Historical Society of Canada’ took top spot in the Multimedia category.
The full list of GJAC Award winners can be found here:
- Rick Young. Winter Park’s Success Story, SCOREGolf
- Rick Drennan. The PGA, the Punjabi Golfers Association, Could Help Save the Game, thepointer.com
- Tie: Rick Drennan. Golf Adapts to a “New” Reality, Pro Shop Magazine
Tie: Jason Logan and Guy Nicholson. The Great Debate, SCOREGolf
- Guy Nicholson. At a Pair of England’s Most Historic Links, the Threat of Wind, Waves and Climate Change is Palpable, The Globe and Mail
- Guy Nicholson. Living on the Edge, SCOREGolf
- Robert Thompson. Counting Sheep, Dream Golf Magazine.
- Jason Logan. Where Were You When? SCOREGolf
- Lorne Rubenstein. Less is More, SCOREGolf
- Jon McCarthy. Time Will Tell, Postmedia
- Jason Logan. Hungry for More, SCOREGolf
- Jeff Brooke. Canadian Coach Takes LPGA Stars to the Top, The Globe and Mail
- Jeff Brooke. Lee-Bentham Tees Up a Shot at Redemption, The Globe and Mail
- Grant Fraser. Wondrous Whistler, Flagstick
- Bernard Brault. Dew Sweeper, GolfCanada.ca
- Bernard Brault. Lexi, GolfCanada.ca
- Chris Fry. Port Royal, Caddie Magazine
- Chris Fry. Mid Ocean Club, Caddie Magazine
- Chris Fry. Hamilton G&CC, SCOREGolf
- Rob Leth. Golf Historical Society of Canada, Global News
- Andrew Foscarin, Jason Logan and Kody McWilliams. Alena Sharp Shepherding Young Canucks, SCOREGolf TV
- Tie: Tyler Costigan and Adam Stanley. Full Steam Ahead, GolfCanada.ca
Tie: Kody McWilliams. RBC PGA Scramble, pgaofcanada.com
Each year GJAC awards its membership for excellence in Writing, Photography and Multimedia. Members who have paid their dues in a particular year are able to enter in a number of writing and photography categories with work from the past year for a chance to win fabulous prizes as donated by the organization’s sponsors.