Submissions are Open
Deadline: February 29, 2024
Welcome to the 2024 GJAC Media Awards for work published in 2023. On this page you will find general information about the awards, including the categories, how to enter, contacts, and ceremony and prize information.
PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW THE SUBMISSION CRITERIA
NEW TO THE AWARDS
- Photo Action has been changed to Photo Action/Person to accommodate photos of people in golf, but who may not be engaged in golf action.
- Multimedia has been split into Visual and Audio categories.
- A creator can submit a maximum of three entries per category.
WRITING—FEATURES: Any print story in a professionally published outlet. There is no minimum or maximum length.
WRITING—TRAVEL: Any story in which travel is the central focus.
WRITING—COLUMN: Any shorter article written by an individual which is primarily opinion-based. An entry in this category should be part of an ongoing column.
WRITING—PROFILE: Any story that has a person or persons as the primary subject.
PHOTO—ACTION/PERSON: Any photograph that centres on golf action or a person.
PHOTO—LANDSCAPE: Any photograph that centres on places in golf, though it may also contain action or people.
MULTIMEDIA—VISUAL: Any work that falls into standard multimedia production definitions, such as video segments or other visual media.
MULTIMEDIA—AUDIO: Any work that falls into standard multimedia production definitions, such as a podcasts or other aural media.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY and INCLUSION: Any work that explores Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI). This could be a writing, photo or multimedia piece that raises awareness about the challenges and opportunities related to DEI with a focus on women, people of colour, the Indigenous community, the LGBTQ+ community, and/or individuals with physical or developmental disabilities. If you are unsure if your story qualifies for this category, check with Curtis Gillespie at email@example.com. Entries in other categories may also be submitted in this category.
Please Note: Golf must be represented in the materials submitted, though that does not preclude someone from entering work that has a golf “angle,” but which is not necessarily a golf audience piece. For example, a fashion writer may submit an article on golf clothing. Or an environmental writer may submit work on golf and the environment. Creators are free to contact Curtis Gillespie at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions in this regard, or with any other question around the awards in general.
HOW TO ENTER
- All entries must be sent to Curtis Gillespie at email@example.com
- In the email entry subject line PLEASE FOLLOW THIS FORMAT:
GJAC Media Awards/Creator’s Last Name/Category/Title of Entry
- A creator may submit a maximum of three entries per category. Each entry MUST be submitted in a separate email.
- An entry can be submitted in ONE category only (with the exception of the DEI category).
- Magazines are free to make submissions on behalf of creators but should notify the creator so to avoid double entries.
- Each submission must contain:
* A pdf, jpeg, or other suitable digital file or link for multimedia submissions. No paper or hard
copy entries will be accepted.
* PLEASE ENSURE THE ENTRY ATTACHMENT IS TITLED AND IS NOT SIMPLY A URL, AN
UNTITLED PDF, OR AN UNTITLED JPEG. PLEASE ENSURE THE ATTACHMENT TITLE
MATCHES THE TITLE ON THE SUBJECT LINE OF THE SUBMISSION EMAIL.
* The author’s name, address and contact information. Please specify a pronoun preference. If
no pronoun preference is indicated, he/she will used.
- GJAC is not responsible for submissions that are entered incorrectly, though we will do our best to alert the creator if a problem is detected (such as, for instance, a Profile being submitted in the Travel category).
- Each entry will be acknowledged as received by GJAC, but GJAC is not responsible for entries that are not received. It is therefore your responsibility to ensure your submission was received if you have not had acknowledgement of receipt after a reasonable period.
- Any entry that is incorrectly submitted may be excluded from the Awards.
- Which publication the entry appeared in and in what issue.
- Only active GJAC members are eligible to enter. Those whose memberships have lapsed will have their entries returned. GJAC is not responsible for ensuring members are current.
- Only new work released in 2023 is eligible. Stories published in crossover editions (a “winter” edition, for instance, that spans December and January) are eligible for the December year or the January year (your choice) but can only be entered in one of those years.
- Stories that have been produced and/or published in one medium are not eligible for entry in a different medium (in other words, a podcast first run on a magazine’s website which is then repurposed for the print edition will not be eligible).
- If there are any questions concerning eligibility not answered here, please contact Curtis Gillespie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Final decisions on eligibility will be made by the GJAC Awards Committee.
February 29, 2024 – The deadline for submissions to the GJAC Media Awards. No late entries will be accepted.
April 30, 2024 – Judging will conclude.
May 2024 – An online ceremony will be held to announce the winners of the GJAC Media Awards. The final date will be announced once the judging has concluded.
CEREMONY AND PRIZE INFORMATION
The awards will be presented via a digital event and/or a social media release in May. Entrants will be notified of the precise date by email and social media, but you can also stay updated at www.gjac.ca. Prizes vary from year to year, depending on sponsors and entry numbers, but in years past the prizes have alternated between cash prizes and golf hardware prizes. Prizes for second and third place winners are dependent upon availability. Prizes will be mailed to the winners. In-person acknowledgement of the winners will be offered for those present at the annual GJAC golf day later in the year.
If you have any questions about the GJAC awards, please contact Curtis Gillespie at email@example.com